Effective library scheduling goes a long way toward improving operational efficiency and reducing operating costs. All libraries have various service points, desks, and departments to cover. Employees are allocated to these service points proportionally by the hour of the day and rotated to ensure an even spread of shifts for each staff member over the week. Having too many employees than needed increases labor costs and having too few employees adversely affects service levels. Juggling multiple service points with different staffing needs and duties is a challenge. Many libraries still manage their permanent staff and volunteers manually with calendar boards or spreadsheets, resulting in scheduling conflicts and endless back-and-forth about who can work when, where, what duties and tasks to be performed. To make things more complicated, libraries have volunteers who can only work certain days of the week and for a limited number of hours. Fortunately, there is a variety of employee scheduling software solutions available to help libraries with their scheduling needs. While some of the very best software packages are not free, their developers let you try before you buy so you can determine if the software is a good fit for your operations. In other cases, the free application may limit the number of employees that you can schedule or display ads while running.
Library Scheduling Software
Here is a list of five library staff scheduling software applications with a brief description of each:
- Schedule any number of employees (full-time, part-time, and volunteer), positions, shifts, and locations
- Ensure adequate shift coverage and efficient personnel utilization while taking into consideration all time-off constraints, specific labor and overtime rules, employee skills and preferences
- Spend less time on developing work schedules and on day-to-day changes
- Instantly see shift coverage, hours scheduled, overtime, vacations, and time off
- Reduce labor costs; avoid overtime and over/under staffing
- Print, export, and e-mail work schedules to employees
- Keep work schedules, labor costs, and employee data in one place for complete reporting and analysis
The Snap Schedule Premium Edition gives you enterprise-class employee scheduling power and innovative workforce management features, including web and mobile access. Employees can remotely access their schedules, request time off, bid on open shifts, punch in and out, update their availability to work, and view the employee directory via a web browser or a native iPhone/iPad/WindowsStore app.
- Windows/Windows 8
What Can Library Scheduling Software Do for You?
Library scheduling software takes the hard work out of staffing, scheduling, and publishing work schedules, freeing you up to do more important things at your library.
- Spend less time creating and publishing work schedules. Library staff scheduling software makes scheduling employees, editing information, analyzing data, and distributing employee work schedules easy and simple. Schedule any number of service points / staff at your library. Assign desks, service points, work stations, breaks, and duties within each shift.
- Quickly fill a shift or find a substitute based on many criteria including job position, skills, availability, labor cost, work hour limits, and seniority.
- Prevent and alerts you to availability conflicts, duplicate shift assignments, overlapped shift assignments, and conflicts with scheduled time off.
- Know instantly where employees are assigned. No need to flip through pages of paper to see absentee, on-call, training, or overtime situations.
- Reduce the time to track and assign employee training, vacation and time off requests. Employee scheduling software keeps you up to date on who will not be coming in to work and why. Its comprehensive reports provide details on planned vacation, training, and time off hours for any time period you select.
- Reduce labor costs and avoid unnecessary overtime. Library staff scheduling software lets you accurately track absences and forecast staffing needs to minimize over-staffing, which in turn reduces payroll costs. It automatically sums up employees’ work hours and costs; calculates overtime, on-call, time off, and incentive pays; and provides detailed cost reports so you know instantly if you are on budget.
- Keep scheduling and employee information in one place for easy access. Insert ID photos as well as employee contact information, authorized work stations, skills, available work hours for part-time and volunteers, and work hour constraints into employee records.
- Monitor attendance, work hours, and labor costs. Advanced employee scheduling software with time clock features lets you see exactly who clocked in and how your scheduled hours compare to the hours your employees are actually working.